Monday, August 11, 2008

Kids

I find myself not knowing what to expect from my children. I want them to be children to have fun, and at the same time I want them to act properly and behave. So where is the boundaries. I find that there are a lot of people out there in the world who yell at the kids all of the time. And then say things like, 'He just never listens" Maybe there are too many rules! So he's running around in circles or dumping sand in his hair.. Kids have to have fun. They can't have so many rules. Put yourself in their positions. If you couldn't do anything you wanted ever, wouldn't you break some rules too.
But then there is the flip side. Where parents just let their kids do whatever they want, because it's easier than yelling or getting up to deal with it.
Parenting is by far the most difficult job there is. You never know what's right and wrong. You don't get to see the finished product until it is too late to do anything about it. The only thing you can do is your best, listen to advice, apply it, and remeber that there is ALWAYS room for improvement. There is no such thing as the perfect parent. and just because you are doning something wrong doesn't make you a bad parnt, as long as you are willing to correct and learn. If you think your kid is brat chances are everyone else does too. And they probablty have for awhile.
The most important thing is making sure they know that you love them, that you will protect them, and always back them up. Cherish them, they shouldn't be a burden, they were a gift! Have fun with them. Never be too grown up to have a good time! Sometimes Noah and I shove pillows up our shirts and run into each other, like sumo wrestlers. Or the other day we all got on a crib mattress and slid down the stairs. We dance silly, even in the grocery store, and no matter what we are doing I take the time to hug him, if that's what he wants. Now I know that not every body is as weird as I am, but I take the time to actually hang out with my kids, everyday. And by all means I am not perfect. I neglect my house work. I let Noah watch way too much t.v. Some days all we eat all day are potato chips and cereal. I let Noah where his snow boots to school with shorts, ( or his cowboy boots these days.) But I love him, and I nurture the person he is. I try hard not to push him to be anything but who he is, I will spend all day hugging him if i could, and listening to him laugh makes my heart melt. I take time out of each day to play with just Mylee so she know she is special too. My kids are spoiled, and I still carry Noah, because Its a way to sneak in some hugs. I guess I am trying to say, have fun, and love your kids. Be amazed in every way by them. Slide down the stairs, dance with your arms flapping, enjoy every moment!

1 comment:

erin said...

awww liz, you're too cute.